- 6 medium potatoes (peeled and finely grated)
- 1 medium onion (finely grated)
- 2 large eggs
- Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (or more as needed)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (approximately, for frying)
- Garnish: granulated sugar, sour cream, applesauce
1. Gather the ingredients.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix the potatoes, onion, eggs, salt, and pepper.
3. Add enough flour to bind the mixture together while leaving it somewhat thin.
4. In a large, heavy skillet set over medium-high heat, add vegetable oil to a depth of 1/4-inch. Heat until hot, but not smoking.
5. Drop tablespoonfuls of potato mixture into the skillet and spread out to form a 3-inch circle that's about 1/4-inch thick.
6. Fry until brown on the bottom (don't turn until the pancake is brown or it will stick), about 3 to 5 minutes. If needed, reduce the heat to medium to prevent burning.
7. Turn the pancake and fry the other side for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
8. Drain on paper towels.
9. Serve with granulated sugar or sour cream and applesauce if desired.