Kupiec Buckwheat Roasted Groats (Kasza Gryczana)
One of the most popular elements of Polish cuisine since at least as far back as the middle ages have been groats. For centuries numerous varieties of these ancient grains have appeared on Poland’s dining tables. Not only are they a popular and timeless Polish ingredient, they are also incredibly healthy, and perhaps the healthiest of them all is, buckwheat!
Some of its beneficial effects on the body include:
- Great for weight loss – this grain digests slowly and keeps you filled longer
- Great source of magnesium, iron, vitamin E and lecithin
- It’s heart healthy – helps lower cholesterol and regulate blood pressure
- It’s Gluten Free! – does not cause allergies and safe for gluten free diet
These roasted buckwheat groats are what is most commonly referred to as “kasha” and have a stronger flavor quality than raw buckwheat - toasty, nutty, soft and chewy when cooked.
Great as a stuffing for roasted poultry, cabbage rolls, or pierogi, these will give any dish a unique earthy flavor and a big nutritional value!
1. Boil 1 liter of water, lightly salt it. Put 1 sachet of Kupiec buckwheat into boiling water.
2. Simmer, covered, for about 12 minutes. Remove the sachet, drain and serve. Store in a dry, cool place.
We Also Recommend