It’s not just Italians who have pasta dishes! Poland also has a particular pasta dish that is loved and enjoyed all around the country. Called Łazanki (Wah-zahn-ki), it consists of noodles, sauerkraut, sauteed cabbage, mushrooms and kiełbasa! This combination of ingredients makes this dish characteristically Polish. Relatively quick and easy to prepare Łazanki make for a hearty and warming dish to enjoy during cold autumn and winter months.
Make this traditional Polish dish come to life with the recipe we shared below and the addition of a few key ingredients from Polana.com!
- 1 package of Czaniecki Square Pasta Noodles (250g)
- 200 g of Zwyczajna Kiełbasa from Polana or a similar smoked sausage – cubed
- 400 g of Sauerkraut
- 2 medium onions - diced
- 4-5 champignon mushrooms or forest mushrooms – chopped
- Oil for frying
- spices and herbs: 2 bay leaves, 3 grains of allspice, half a spoonful of salt and pepper, a pinch of cumin
- First, cook the sauerkraut. Place the 400 grams of sauerkraut in a pot (weight of cabbage squeezed out of excess water). Add two cups of water to the pot. Mix in two smaller bay leaves and three grains of allspice. Cover the pot with a lid and cook the kraut for about 25 minutes or until it becomes soft.
- After the kraut is done cooking transfer it over to a bowl to cool. Remove the leaves and the herbs and squeeze out the water thoroughly. Finely chop the cabbage and set aside.
- Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the packet while you prepare the remainder of the ingredients for the dish.
- Next, heat the oil on a pan. Add in the two onions (diced). Once onions begin to achieve a translucent color add in the mushrooms and fry for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the kiełbasa into the mix in the pan and continue to sauté until the kiełbasa has achieved a golden-brown tone – about 15 minutes.
If you’d like to add some extra savory flavor to this dish, you can also add a small amount of diced Polish bacon along with the sausage.
- Finally, add the cooled, chopped kraut to the mix in the pan. Stir thoroughly and sauté for about 5 more minutes. Season generously with pepper and a bit of salt. Add a pinch of cumin for added flavor.
- Mix the sauteed ingredients thoroughly with the pasta noodles. Serve and enjoy!