Polish Thanksgiving Salad
How about adding a touch of Polish cuisine to your Thanksgiving dinner this year? We asked Aleksandra August from the PBS Flavor of Poland series to share some ideas with us. Take a look below for a great Polish inspired recipe for a Thanksgiving salad Aleksandra shared with us! It’s a very quick and simple recipe and you can find the key Polish ingredients on Polana.com!
If you’re anything like me, you look forward to the side dishes at the Thanksgiving table almost as much (if not more) than the turkey itself! This is also a great way to celebrate your roots by adding favorite cultural traditions to the dinner. After all, a true American feast should be made up of culinary influences from all over the world.
When thinking about what could be pulled from Poland’s cuisine into the Thanksgiving menu, I came across an idea for a great side salad! Made of Poland’s famous sauerkraut as a base, it is not only incredibly nutritious, but it will also help with processing Thanksgiving dinner + with the added ingredients mixed into it, it’s a perfect flavor compliment to everything else on the table! Take a look at my recipe below and enjoy the freshness, crunch and sweet & sour taste of this salad along with your turkey roast and potatoes this year.
~ Aleksandra August
- 4 cups of Polish Sauerkraut (size of 1 packet from Polana)
- 1 cup of dried cranberries
- 1 small red onion (chopped)
- ½ cup of pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup of chopped parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. of olive oil
- Remove the sauerkraut from the packet and lightly rinse it under filtered water. Chop the sauerkraut to break it up a bit.
- Combine all the ingredients in mixing bowl and mix. Add in the olive oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper
- Place your salad into a serving dish and enjoy!
Smacznego! ...that means “enjoy!”